Thursday, July 28, 2011

More on stereoscopy

Yesterday I had all those nice little semi-stereo experiences when the left eye was leading, and the right eye was passive, but almost aligned with the left. It occasionally helped the left eye by looking at the same object, so that the object could be seen a little better than the background. The most remarkable thing that I noticed is that the expression "look into the eyes" has a literal meaning - that is, that the eyes are located below the surface of the face, I guess, for protection. I also noticed that some people have deep facial features while others have shallow. Now I can have this experience even with one eye closed, and after looking at a person from the side, if the person is in motion (so the angle is changing), I can imagine what the face looks en face by mentally continuing to change the angle, again, even if I am looking with my eye.

It is already clear to me that I am now able to recognize and remember faces much better than I was yesterday, even when looking with one eye. I suspect that this is the essence of remembering and recognizing faces - creating an appropriate model of the surface in the visual cortex. Furthermore, now I can recall some of my relatives whom I have seen many times from different angles and, by recalling two views at different angles, mentally combine those views into a single view. That is, it now seems that I can see a person from two angles, and then later recognize on a photo taken from a third angle.

This obviously has to do with appropriate training of the visual cortex rather than how exactly it interacts with the eyes. You can read or hear statements that if you close one eye, the mind will use "visual cues" such as shadows, backgrounds, etc. to perceive depth. However, any cues necessarily relate to previous experiences. Yes, now that I am thinking about it, when I see a shadow from an object, I feel it is a cue for the spatial orientation of the object. However, it takes learning to translate such cues into depth perception.

No comments:

Post a Comment