Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bates method and relaxation

Last week, particularly on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I experienced a considerable feeling of relaxation from seeing. I was not seeing things that clearly any more, but instead everything became more like a mosaic of light and shade. I am writing in the past since I already have a different experience by now.

When I would look at something, I would see its neighborhood with some level of clarity, but then the next "ring" would be darker and less clear, then next "ring" even darker and even less clear, and so on. When I look at something, I often saw a cone emanating in all directions, gradually getting darker and less clear. Furthermore, the cone was moving or alive: certain areas were getting darker or lighter, boundaries between different parts were moving back and forth, and overall I felt relaxation and clarity.

For example, among other things, I took some yoga classes on Saturday. I noticed that sometimes a teacher would offer to close the eyes presumably to relax, go inside, go deeper, and so on, but I found it easier to keep my eyes open. When I was sitting in Virasana on the floor without any padding, it was very with my eyes closed, and I wanted to get out of it, but there was only some discomfort with my eyes open. It felt as if I look at something, touched it with my gazed, and the relaxation traveled back through the air to and into me.

However, I carried this relaxation a little bit to the extreme. Over the course of several days my gaze started increasingly wobbling around as I concentrated on seeing the periphery rather than on seeing what's in front of me, and the squinting increased a lot. In other words, relaxation also affected the effort to keep the eyes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment