Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Eyebody method - part 1

Here are some of my reflections on the 6-day Eyebody retreat that I attended. The retreat was led by Peter Grunwald and took place at the Menla Mountain retreat center in upstate New York near Woodstock. For more information on the Eyebody method developed by Peter Grunwald see http://www.eyebody.com/

Why study the Eyebody method?

1. The Eyebody method can improve your vision. I am not even talking about the number of lines you see on the Snellen chart or the refractive error that the ophthalmologist can measure. In many cases these things can undoubtedly be achieved by changing the way you are using your visual system, however it seems that for most adults it is essential to not (over)focus on objectively measurable vision improvement. When I talk about improving your vision I mean enhancing your visual experience so you can see and notice more things, so the environment (things and people) you see are more alive and you feel more connected to the environment. I mean making vision a source of joy rather than a burden, which it often is for me, even when I see very clearly whatever I need to see.

2. The Eyebody method can be viewed as, and I think it is, a new mind-body integration technique.

3. The Eyebody method contains some pieces that were missing from the Alexander technique. Specifically, a lot of postural, movement, and other habits seem to be connected to the visiual system. By changing the way we are using the visual system many of those habits can be undone almost instantly. Releasing tension in the visual system can probably release tension from the corresponding parts of the body. The Eyebody method can probably complement other techniques such as the Feldenkrais method in a similar way.

4. The aspects of the Eyebody methods related to thinking, emotions and spirituality are, in my opinion, still in the early development phase. I, however, expect many discoveries that have been beyond our imagination.

5. The Bates method had a lot of good things in it. However, it is far from universally applicable, since, as far as I understand, it depends on people "getting it". However, I have never worked in private with a natural vision teacher (e.g. a Bates teacher) like I work with an Alexander technique teacher.

It seems that the existing way to teach Alexander technique is more universally applicable than the existing way to teach the Bates method, although I don't know enough about either to state it with confidence. Then we should expect that the Eyebody method could also be taught more reliably than the Bates method. "More reliably" means that a certified teach should be able to teach the method to virtually any student, provided that the student is very motivated, and that there is time and space for learning to take place.


In this case, many of the more esoteric benefits of the Bates method may be realized, such as the elimination of pain by imagining a black dot. I know that imagining a black dot is a trick, but perhaps the Eyebody method could lead to a more organic approach with the same result, almost complete elimination of the pain felt by the person at the moment.


Perhaps, every mind-body integration technique should be ultimately capable of that. Yoga is one clear example.

No comments:

Post a Comment