Friday, July 29, 2011

Binocular experience - observations. Part one.

1.Everything is big and colorful, like in a cartoon. There is a lot of light everywhere. Possibly because two eyes take in more light than one, or possibly because the suppression of one eye creates tension.
2. In my experience, the eyes DO NOT have to come together. When I woke up in the morning, the eyes were pointing all over the place, yet the binocular experience was there. Both eyes were engaged and were taking in light. As long as I tried looking at objects, both eyes were focusing on the surface. Sometimes it brought them together, sometimes not. (This means I still have to work on it.)
3.There is still a leading eye. When I am moving an object in my focus from the left to the right, I feel how the eyes are switching the dominance, it is just softer than it used to be. I can still switch the dominant eye on purpose.
4.I am still able to see things on a flat screen with one eye closed, although it is getting more difficult, as I am learning more visual cues. Those visual cues are breaking the experience of a flat screen.
5.In the street, things in the distance are blurry. This is probably because my right (weak, overextended) eye is now happy to lead in the distance, where it couldn't see well after being suppressed for so long. I can switch to leading with the other eye to see more clearly, but I don't really need it, and both experiences are equally interesting (blur or no blur).
6. The thing they I described in my previous posts for taking in more periphery is really moving my eyes towards where I feel something is stuck and the retina was more stimulation. When I was doing this,  I was really moving the eyes out of alignment. This may explain why my squint has got so visually pronounced after Peter's retreat.
7. Cellphone screens, monitor screens, and books are flat. Thus one can look at a photograph, and then use imagination to imagine volume. I already thought about it, that there should be stereoscopic memory and imagery - I wrote about it in a previous post where I first mentioned face recognition. However, I cannot do it yet. I am looking at a photograph and the fact that it is flat is singular enough to imagine anything.
8. My perception of volume in sinks and cups is similar to a few days ago.
9. However, my perception of trees and larger configurations is very different, particularly outdoors. Large trees and their configurations, bushes, people, feel pretty much like in a video game with the effect of a virtual reality. That is, I never played one, but pretty much like I thought such games should look like. The sense of personal presence is not necessarily stronger, but it is different.

I think it's enough for now. Will keep posting.


No comments:

Post a Comment